We can report that the much-talked about National Apprenticeship Service (NAS) is working. A year ago, My Nametags’s founder, Lars, found Billy through the scheme and now he’s joined the company on a permanent contract.
“When we employed Billy as an apprentice he hadn’t much work experience at all but one year later he was practically running the office on his own over the Christmas period!” says Lars.
Billy was unemployed after leaving school and found it “dull and depressing” but getting an apprenticeship has boosted his confidence and given him real transferable skills. “I’ve done various courses including learning the basics of Photoshop and graphic design and I’d now like to study more,” says Billy.
New data from NAS confirms that apprenticeships are increasingly popular. There were over 1.1 million applications submitted online last year with ‘Business and Administration’ topping the charts for applications and vacancies in 2012.
• An apprenticeship is a paid job working alongside experienced staff to gain job-specific skills
• To apply you must live in England, be aged over 16, not in full time education
• Training takes place both on and off the job, usually on a day-release basis
• Apprenticeships take between 1-4 years to complete and there are three levels; basic, intermediate and higher
• Over 100,000 employers offer apprenticeships and there are 1,400 job roles in a wide range of industries from engineering and accounting to veterinary nursing
• For More information visit http://www.apprenticeships.org.uk
To order My Nametags visit www.mynametags.com or give us a call on our freephone number 0800 3 213 203 – you never know you might get Billy!